CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sunshine in the Clouds - Fri/Sat of Ichthus


Hey! This is Maria. I'm here to tell you about the rest of Mo and I's amazing weekend in Wilmore, KY. If you don't know where that is, it's ok. Neither do we.

I was all excited about Friday because it was THE DAY for bands. It was like all one awesome amazing goodness was packed into the day of the week that is always looked forward to -- Friday. The
bands that were planned to grace us with their presence were Maylene & the Sons of Disaster, As I Lay Dying, TobyMac, The Showdown, Becoming the Archetype, Inhale Exhale, Flatfoot 56, Blaze Entertainment stage, and the band we all know and love, This Beautiful Republic. Maybe those aren't your type of bands....but for me, it was a little slice of heaven mixed with hardcore. We took our time getting out our "bed", aka the back of Mo's car, and I even got a shower in that day. I stood in line for an hour and half to take a 5 minute shower. No lie. I was that quick. :) Mo and I met this super cool southern guy named Perry Stokes (that is an AWESOME name!) who took more time getting ready than we did. He dragged me all around the festival grounds to find a plug so he could use his straightener on his hair. Seriously. After he found one, he proceeded to take out multiple bottles and hair products so that his hair would stay straight and smell wonderful all day long! After we got laughed at by a few teeny boppers, we went to go see some bands play, because after all, that's why were there right?!

After wandering around, we camped out at the Deep End stage and was about to watch a band named after Spiderman's first girlfriend, Gwen Stacy. They just started to play a few tunes and down came the RAIN and washed spiderman's girlfriend out. We all took cover under the tents and then the army men and a really butch woman made us go back to our cars (bc that's a real safe place when there's 50-60mph winds and a tornado watch). During the downpour, Mo and I were inspired by Bear Grylls of Man vs. Wild and collected the rain water off of our manmade tarp-tent. I know this is a lame story, but it's all we got. Everything was canceled for the rest of the day. Eff that crap. Because of the sudden lack of events, I curled up in the car and slept for the next 5 hours. What Mo did during that time, I will never know. But I do wonder where all the food went and why my shirt was cut into pieces...just kidding.

I woke up just in time to see a shaggy haired man walking in front of our car trying to get in the back gate. Seeing that it was dark outside and I have horrible night vision, I had no idea who it was. Turns out, Mo can see fairly well and realized that it was none other than Mr. Andy Smith of TBR trying to get inside the festival grounds because the rest of his band left him! With our expertise, we got him back to his beloved Brandon and TBR clan and were able to chill with the guys while they were there. It's a bummer they didn't get to play :(

Saturday was cha
os. Ichthus was doing a lot of major rehaul trying to fit in bands that stayed around hoping that they would be able to play for the kiddos. Bits and pieces would best describe Saturday. I think the highlight for me was seeing The Glorious Unseen and creating relationships with Perry and this other awesome guy we volunteered with, Travis, who happens to know Isaac Dietz. I was fortunate enough to run into them and get to know both guys a little more. Amidst the packed Saturday, Mo and I got to hang out with our friends that played (11ty7, The Glorious Unseen, Through a Glass, Gwen Stacy, Special D, and Josh Brown from Day of Fire), make new friends (After Edmund, Ilia, The Switch, Amy, Travis, and Perry and my new friend from Nashville - Cory! --->) There's too many to keep naming!

We left during MxPx (don't judge us) and drove an hour out of the way to get on a bump, bump, bumpity road and got back in Nashville around the same time we arrived in Kentucky: 4:30am.

The trip was awesome. We barely slept. There was only 1 shower taken. We were a
ble to actually cook mac and cheese to sustain our life. We made around 5-ish new friends. Haste the Day puts on an amazing show...and has a mean cookout. I actually saw a hardcore band who had a chick as their lead singer. It was awkward and I don't think people are ready for that quite yet. We can officially say we survived the wilderness of Kentucky thanks to the expertise of Bear Grylls...and our own improvisation. I got a killer tan. I screamed every time a cicada thought about flying by me. It was entertaining to see the bands react to the cicadas on stage. They screamed and danced around awkwardly as well. We didn't take many pictures but these are a few of my faves. :)

Mo and I are hitting up different festivals every year.
Last year was Creation East.
This year was Ichthus.
Both were beyond what I had hoped for or expected.
I can't even imagine what next year will be like!
Where should we go next??

0 comments: